Want to hear a piece by Mozart in the very building he composed it in? Step this way, ladies and gentlemen: the Bösendorfer-Saal in the Mozarthaus makes it possible.
- Small venue with classical concerts, operatic performances and similar
- Concerts may include talks by experts and performers
- Special summer piano recitals* feature work composed by Mozart while he lived on the premises
- See also: Concert venues | Mozart locations
The Mozarthaus is, as the name suggests, the very house where Mozart lived for three years during his long stay in Vienna.
There is something particularly charming about the idea of listening to Mozart’s music in a building that once echoed to the sound of his piano or violin, and where he entertained such musical greats as Haydn.
It’s even more charming to imagine listening to the very same pieces that Mozart composed in the building.
The Bösendorfer-Saal, a small venue tucked away inside the Mozarthaus, makes just such a unique experience possible.
Do not be alarmed, however, at the prospect of some dumbing down of the composer’s genius. These are “proper concerts” with a varied programme of pieces and performers. For example…
The summer recitals
An annual favourite with visitors is the Summer Concert series of afternoon piano recitals, often featuring works composed a few yards away from the Bösendorfer-Saal. In 2020, the programme mirrors the special Haydn -Mozart – Beethoven exhibition in the same building.
When: Usually every Tuesday and Thursday in June, July and August with online tickets available* nearer the time
The summer recitals are, of course, not the only concerts to be found in the Bösendorfer-Saal. In 2020, for example, expect:
- Mozart Academy concerts on the theme of sonatas for violin and piano (the final date on November 8th also features historical instruments)
- The small-scale version for piano of Beethoven’s Fidelio, accompanied by a modern dance ensemble from Korea
- A series of Bösendorfer concert afternoons in the spirit of Mozart’s music but with a different performer, programme and focus at each individual event
Check the Mozarthaus listings for up-to-date details of all your options.
Tickets and visitor information
Ticketing arrangements depend on the concert in question, so, again, check the Mozarthaus listings for information.
Don’t forget the Mozarthaus, along with the Mozart apartment, are both worth a visit in their own right.
How to get to the Bösendorfer-Saal
The Mozarthaus is a few rolls of a chocolate marzipan Mozart ball from the very centre of Vienna. See the main museum article for travel tips.
Address: Domgasse 4, 1010 Vienna