As a secret geek, this is an event close to my heart. The Vienna Comic Con is a chance to spend two days immersed in the worlds of fantasy, science fiction, film, comics, and much, much more. Don’t forget your lightsabre.
- Huge international convention with star guests from the film, TV, gaming & comic worlds
- Other highlights include top-level cosplay and eSports competitions
- 2018 dates are November 17/18
- See also: Events in Vienna
What’s it all about?
Anyone familiar with the Comic Con concept will need no further introduction. In fact, the company behind the New York Comic Con is the one behind the Vienna version, which is pitched as the main event for central and eastern Europe.
For those unfamiliar, consider it a melting pot for all things pop culture, particularly fantasy and sci-fi, comics, gaming, anime and manga.
You might bump into someone dressed as a character from Game of Thrones, and then watch a live interview with the actor who played that same character in the actual TV series.
There are panels and presentations, sword fights and lightsabre battles, games of Quidditch, and, basically, a lot of fun. Channel your inner superhero – mine is Grammarman, Master of the Semicolon.
2018 Comic Con dates & tickets
The con is open over the weekend of November 17th (10 am to 7 pm) and 18th (10 am to 5 pm). Tickets are available online or at the door (if it’s not sold out – some ticket categories had already done so at the time of writing).
If you only want to access the eSports arena (see below), then you can buy separate tickets for that.
Comic Cons are famous for their special guests, and the Vienna event is no different. The full list of celebrity visitors is here, but I’m most looking forward to:
- John Noble aka Lord Denethor from the Lord of the Rings films and participant in the iconic scene where Pippin sings to him as Denethor’s son, Faramir, rides to his certain death (told you I was a secret geek). He’s also an accomplished theatre director
- Andrew Scott aka Moriarty from Sherlock
- Sylvester McCoy aka Radagast from the Hobbit films, but best known to an old Englishman like myself as a former Doctor Who
- Neal Adams aka the legendary comic book artist and key player in, for example, Batman’s comic book history
- Eugene Simon aka Lancel Lannister because…Game of Thrones
As well as photo and autograph opportunities, many of the guests (including all the above) will give public interviews on the main stage.
Quite apart from the cosplay attendees, there’s the official Champion of Cosplay contest. Get a flavour from this video:
As a Star Wars fan (I have three Darth Vaders on my desk), I’m looking forward to seeing members of the 501st Legion Austrian Garrison Star Wars Fanclub.
Those with more of a gaming bent should also enjoy the huge eSports tournament area (the Vienna Challengers Arena). This includes the Austrian tour stop on the Riot Games’ League of Legends Premier Tour, as well as tournaments for Rainbow Six Siege, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Super Smash Bros. WiiU, Dragonball FighterZ, and Tekken 7.
Gaming celebrities will attend; that’s not my field, but my kids’ eyes widened at seeing some of the names, particularly Venicraft, a hugely-popular local YouTuber.
How to get to Comic Con
The Messe Wien exhibition location hosts the event (in Hall C, Hall D, and the Congress Center). It’s Vienna’s main exhibition centre and easily (and quickly) reached by subway: take the U2 line to the “Krieau” station, which adjoins Hall D.
Address: Messeplatz 1, 1020 Vienna | Website