OK, put away your DJs and ball gowns – the two-day Electric Spring music festival is more hip hop than Haydn…
- Annual open-air festival of electronic music in the Museumsquartier
- Features rap, hip hop, electropop, jungle, bass music, and much more
- 2019 dates are April 25-26 with free entry
- See also: Museumsquartier | Events in Vienna
The music festival
Now in this fifth year, the title of this open-air music festival offers a big clue to its focus: electronic music in all its variety…
The performances take place in the Museumsquartier, both in the main courtyard on an open-air stage and in the Halle E+G indoor venue.
The 2019 festival motto is “what the people want”, a phrase which always reminds me of the cynical lyrics from the Jam’s Going Underground: “And the public wants what the public gets”. Yeah, I’m that old.
In the case of Electric Spring, however, the public will certainly get what the public wants, thanks to the expertise of this year’s festival curator, DJ Dalia Ahmed, who has her finger on the (electronic) pulse of the Viennese and Austrian music scene.
The 2019 focus is on diversity and music at the margins, a counterpoint to the status quo. And the music should be “Loud and quiet, experimental and catchy”, as the curator puts it (my translation).
- Day 1 focuses on experimental music, featuring such performers as DJ Hanna, Kids n Cats, salute, and Euroteuro
- Day 2 focuses on hip hop and bass, with, for example, the rappers Kinetical & P.tah, T-Ser, and Keke, as well as DJ Resista and colleagues
2019 dates and tickets
The 2019 dates for Electric Spring are Thursday, April 25th and Friday, April 26th. You don’t need a ticket because the performances are free. Each day, everything gets going at around 6 pm and continues long into the night (until 4 am the following day).
During the festival, the exhibition “Peter Friedl. Teatro” at the Kunsthalle in the MQ is also free to view between 7 pm and 10 pm.
And the exhibition “Dance of Urgency” in the frei_raum Q21 exhibition space (always free) opens late on both days, closing only at 10 pm.
How to get to Electric Spring
See the Museumsquartier article for details, but basically take the U3 or U2 subway to the Volkstheater station and follow the signs (or the U2 subway to the Museumsquartier station).
Address: Museumsplatz 1/5, 1070 Vienna | Website