A city known for its architecture, music, and paintings switches focus to another art form for one month at the Foto Wien photography festival.
- A month-long celebration of photography around Vienna
- Exhibitions, workshops, talks, and more
- Entry to the Foto Wien festival centre (and its events) is free
- Runs March 20 to April 20 (but see below)
- See also: Events in Vienna | Photo & Adventure Fair
What is Foto Wien all about?
Organised by Kunst Haus Wien (the Hundertwasser museum), this is Vienna’s contribution to the European Month of Photography.
Consider Foto Wien a celebration of the art of photography, a showcase for local photographic initiatives and photographers, and a focus for all those with a love of the medium to come together at talks, workshops, exhibitions etc.
Over 100 partners are hosting events of one kind of another, but there’s also a festival centre that acts a hub and headquarters.
Many of Vienna’s leading art museums, galleries, and other institutions are festival partners, including the Museumsquartier, the Albertina, the Jewish Museum and the Natural History Museum.
Such is the large number of related exhibitions and events, that I’d simply urge you to browse the festival website and pick out your own personal highlights.
The festival centre is at the former Post Office Savings Bank (Postsparkasse), itself an iconic piece of architecture and design by Otto Wagner. There you’ll find, in addition to talks and workshops:
- The chance to take a tour of the building
- Numerous exhibitions. For example:
- Bodyfiction: presenting the works of photographers nominated for the European Month of Photography Arendt Award 2019
- Curator’s Choice: featuring selected works from photographers in Austria
- White Flag: the results of a two-year photo project by Hanna Putz and Sophie Thun
- Urban zones: urban spaces and the interactions that take place within them
- Monsanto: A Photographic Investigation: the results of a five-year photographic documentation project
- Stefan Oláh’s large format photos of the Postsparkasse’s interior design
- The ten photos shortlisted for the photography prize awarded by the Rondo lifestyle magazine
- The 23 winners of the Wiener Wohnen photogaphy prize for photos of Vienna’s social housing projects
- Outstanding photobooks (which you can look through)
- …and many more!
- A pop-up photo lab for developing black & white negatives
- A pop-up book shop with a focus on limited edition photobooks
- A weekend photobook market
As you can tell, the festival centre alone is worth a visit for anyone interested in the medium.
2019 tickets and dates
The festival runs from March 20th to April 20th. The festival centre in the Postsparkasse building hosts events from March 20th to April 6th.
Anything happening at the Foto Wien festival centre is free. Exhibitions and events elsewhere may require admission to the particular location.
How to get to Foto Wien
The festival centre is just off the Ringstrassen boulevard in the NE corner of Vienna’s old town.
Subway: it’s a short walk from either Stubentor (on the U3 line) or Schwedenplatz (U1 and U4 lines)
Tram/bus: take trams 1 or 2 to Julius-Raab-Platz
Address: Georg-Coch-Platz 2, 1010 Vienna | Website