Think of Vienna and you might not automatically think of Herbie Hancock or Natalie Cole. Or Dave Brubeck. Or Liza Minnelli. Or John Scofield. But those are just some of the big names that have appeared at the Vienna Jazz Festival – Jazzfest Wien.
- Jazz event now in its 29th year
Prestigiousfestival that features both global stars and regional talent
- Often dips into other genres, too, such as soul and blues
- 2019 dates are Jun 24 – Jul 10
- See also: Events in Vienna | Blues Festival
An annual event since 1991, Jazzfest Wien ranks as one of Europe’s top jazz festivals
Back in 1991, the likes of Dizzy Gillespie and Miles Davis arrived in Vienna, setting a precedent for big names that continues today. And the venues match the stature of the performers, with concerts typically held in the Vienna State Opera House and the old town hall (Altes Rathaus), as well as in more traditional jazz and music clubs.
Vienna itself has a small, but vibrant, jazz scene and history. Multiple Grammy winner, Joe Zawinul, was born here, for example.
It’s early days yet, but a few stand-out names are already primed to appear in 2019. For example:
- Bobby McFerrin (July 8): a regular visitor to the city, he even conducted the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra at Schönbrunn Palace in 2004 at the very first summer night concert
- Jamie Cullam (July 9): popping into town with his latest album and a new band, too. Cullam pulls off the trick of being both an award-winning jazz musician and an award-winning jazz broadcaster (for his UK radio show)
- Omara Portuondo (July 7): famous for her vocal work with the Buena Vista Social Club, Vienna is a stop on her farewell tour
- Chilly Gonzales (July 6): the Grammy-award winning Canadian is perhaps best known for his Solo Piano instrumental albums and collaborations with the likes of Jarvis Cocker of Pulp fame
- Jamison Ross (July 2): winner of the Thelonious Monk Institute of Jazz International Drums Competition in 2012, Ross released his second album, All for One, in 2018
The full, up-to-date programme is online at the official festival website.
2019 dates and tickets
This year’s festival takes place from Monday, June 24 to Wednesday, July 10. Buy tickets to the individual events through the links provided at the festival website.
Prices depend, of course, on the performance. For example, full-price tickets for Jamie