Should you wish to dip your toes into the world of travel, outdoor adventure, and photography, then an exhibition hall in Vienna might be the place to start. The Photo+Adventure fair and festival takes you on a journey around all three.
- Two-day event held at the Messe Wien Exhibition & Congress Centre
- Around 250 exhibitors, plus talks, workshops, shows, photo exhibitions, and more
- 2020 dates: TBA (was Nov 9/10 in 2019)
- See also: What to do in Vienna | Foto Wien festival
What is Photo+Adventure?
These days, photography, outdoor adventure and travel often go hand-in-hand (photo safari, anyone?). It’s a modern trend given ample recognition at the Photo+Adventure event.
Think of it as a combination of (trade) fair and festival.
The fair element includes dozens of exhibitors presenting the latest products, trends, and technologies. These exhibitors include the top camera brands, as well as travel agencies and travel destinations.
The festival element features presentations, workshops, seminars, photo exhibitions, live shootings, and more.
2020 dates & tickets
I don’t have the dates for the next Photo+Adventure yet. But the 2019 ones were from 9am to 6pm on Saturday, November 9 and Sunday, November 10.
Day or weekend tickets should become available online from the official website or can be bought at the event itself.
Again, it’s a little early for 2020 event details, since the last one only just ended. Here’s a taster of the 2019 highlights to give you an idea of what to expect:
- A paid workshops and seminar programme, with over 50 to choose from
- A specialist talks programme, with around 40 available
- The Weltweit.Reisen travel reports programme, which took you from Morocco to Myanmar, Iran to India, Brazil to Botswana, and many places in between
- Photo exhibitions featuring entries and winners from various competitions (e.g. the CEWE Photo Award 2019), as well as curated exhibitions on particular themes or from particular photographers
Most of the above were, inevitably, “in German”, but since photography is a visual medium and English is everywhere these days, there was still plenty to enjoy for non-German speakers.
How to get to Photo+Adventure
The event takes place at the Messe Wien exhibition location. It’s the major exhibition centre in Vienna, so well-connected to public transport. Basically, take the U2 subway line to Messe-Prater.
Unlike most city locations, it also has several paid parking options, thanks to nearby multistorey and underground car parks. See here for details and precise addresses for your Sat-Nav. An alternative is to use the (cheaper) park and ride car parks and then take public transport.
Address: Messeplatz 1, 1020 Vienna | Website