No prizes for guessing the topic of this event, which celebrates its 13th year in 2019. The Vienna Design Week does what it says on the label, with an eclectic array of events across the city.
- Annual international festival of design held throughout Vienna
- Features both regular themes and one-off tracks
- 10 days or so of events for both professionals and the curious layperson
- 2019 dates are Sep 27 – Oct 6
- See also: Museum of Applied Arts
What’s the DESIGN WEEK all about?
The festival showcases design projects, innovations, processes, and approaches through a wide range of exhibitions, workshops, lectures, tours, and more throughout the city. In doing so, it presents design as an interdisciplinary endeavour, where aesthetics, sociopolitics, and practical application meet. (Phew.)
A strong international flavour always runs through the programme.
Regular tracks include, for example:
- A guest country: Poland was the 2018 choice, represented through such events as an exhibition of The ABCs of Polish Design. In 2019, the baton passes to Finland
- A guest Viennese district: Neubau was the 2018 selection. Vienna’s 7th district has a strong creative reputation, as evidenced by its hosting one of the more artistic Christmas markets
- The Path of Passion: a track that brings together design and industry
The main location changes each year – the 2018 HQ was the Sophienspital, a former hospital built in 1880.
I don’t have any details of the 2019 event, yet. Here’s a look back at 2018 – there were many highlights to choose from, but my curious eye alighted on some intriguing themes:
- A channel of events full of opportunities to experience (and interact with) virtual and augmented reality, for example…
- a journey through the creative legacy of the Polish painter, Zdzisław Beksiński
- a trip around the plush interiors of the Bavarian State Opera House
- a drive in a Peugeot 508 car
- a flight over the Viennese skyscape
- Events around design and activism, such as…
- a talk on protest architecture
- a workshop on liberating yourself from toxic masculinity through dance
- A track exploring urban food production, nutrition and future hospitality, where you could, for example…
- treat yourself to a spot of lichen
- view the tabletop as a reflection of its locality
- explore the modernisation of more traditional gastronomic environments
For full details of the festival and the myriad of associated events, visit the official website.
The 2019 dates are Friday, September 27 to Sunday, October 6.
How to get to the design week
Events take place across the city, though there is a main location and headquarters. This changes each year, so once I know details of the 2019 event, I’ll add information here.