A long list of sights to admire is all very well, but what about all the other aspects of seeing a new city?
Do the Viennese speak English? How much do you tip? Are credit cards widely accepted? What’s the currency? What’s the best time to visit? Is the water safe? What about plugs and sockets?
The answer to these and similar questions are below…
- Do they speak English?
- How safe is Vienna?
- Can you drink the water?
- How can I save time or money sightseeing?
- Do I need an adaptor for my electronic devices?
- When is the best time to visit Vienna?
- What events are on?
- Should I buy a Vienna Pass?
- Should I buy a Vienna card?
- Where in Austria is Vienna?
Sightseeing advice & highlights
- Is there a city sightseeing pass?
- What are the most popular tourist attractions?
- What are the best Christmas markets to visit?
- What activities do you recommend for a Christmas trip?
- Where can you get the best views of Vienna?
- Do museums etc. stay open over Christmas?
- Where can I learn about Empress Elisabeth?
- Where can I see Dürer’s Hase (hare)?
- Where will I find Klimt’s “The Kiss”?
- Where is the golden Strauss statue?
- Where is the Danube?
- How can I see the Alps?
- Where can I find Pokemons?
- How does the public transport system work?
- Is Vienna wheelchair-friendly?
- Are there any “hop on, hop off” tour buses?
- What is the code for Vienna airport? (Answer: VIE)
- How do I get to the airport?
- How do I get to the city from the airport?
- How fast can I drive in Vienna?
- Where can I park?
- Are there any motorway tolls?
- What is an Einbahn?
- What is a Rettungsgasse?
- How far is it to Prague?
- How far is it to Budapest?
Staying in Vienna
- Will I pay a hotel or local tax?
- Which hotels are close to the airport?
- Which hotels are close to the Christmas markets?
- Can I visit Freud’s house?
- Where is Mozart’s grave?
- Where is Beethoven’s grave?
- Where is Schubert’s grave?
- Where did Schubert die?
- Where was Schubert born?
- Where can I learn about Egon Schiele?
- Where can I learn about Gustav Klimt?
Shopping and eating out
- When are shops open?
- When do pubs/bars close?
- Is Vienna expensive?
- Do they take credit cards?
- Where can I buy stamps?
- How do you tip in Vienna?
- How do you order and pay for food and drink?
- Where can I find allergy information in restaurants?
- What is a Wiener Schnitzel?
- What are the supermarket chains like?
- Where can I buy Japanese food?
- What souvenirs do you recommend?
- Can you smoke in bars and restaurants?
- How do you say “cheers”?
- Where is the British embassy?
- Where is the US embassy?
- Where is the Australian embassy?
- Where is the Canadian embassy?
- Where is the New Zealand embassy?
Stage and screen
- How can I buy cheap opera tickets?
- What is the dress code for opera?
- Where can I watch movies in English?
- What’s the difference between Wien and Vienna?
- What’s the time in Vienna?
- What is the Austrian currency?
- Do people smoke in Vienna?
(Photo credit: © JJAVA / Fotolia)