As the capital city of one of the world’s richest nations, you might expect Vienna to be expensive. But it’s not bad compared to the likes of London and usually slots into the EU at just above average price-wise.
For guidance, here are some very rough prices as of March/April 2019. Of course, the Euro goes up and down, so check your current exchange rates here.
Food & drink
Warning: these are “normal” Viennese prices – expect to pay more in tourist areas.
- A single espresso (German: kleiner Schwarzer): €2.70
- A cappuccino: €3.90
- A large beer in a bar: €4
- A 500ml tin of beer in a supermarket: €1
- A bottle of wine in a supermarket: You can get drinkable wine for under €3 a bottle and very decent wine for around €5
- 1.5l bottle of mineral water in a supermarket: €0.25 to €1.45 (but the tap water is just as good)
- Can of coke in a supermarket: €0.80
- Typical main course of fried cutlet of pork (i.e. Schnitzel) with potato salad: €10.00
- 100g bar of Milka chocolate in a supermarket: €1.20
A couple of tips:
- Food and drink is quite inexpensive in supermarkets, especially the discounters like Hofer (the Austrian version of Aldi)
- Many tourist places sell marzipan balls (Mozartkugeln) and Mozart-themed marzipan chocolate as souvenirs. You can get more or less the same thing much (much) cheaper in the conventional supermarkets
- Petrol/gasoline: €1.20/l for Super 95 (standard lead-free)…but petrol prices fluctuate a lot, obviously
- 24-hour travel card for Vienna’s public transport system: €8
- Weekly travel pass for Vienna: €17.10
- Return ticket to the airport on the dedicated non-stop train: €19.00 (online price)
- Return trip to the airport on the standard S-Bahn train: €8.40
- Taxi transfer from airport to city (one way): around €35-40
- Movie theater tickets at an English-language cinema: €10 (with surcharges for 3D etc.)
- Theater/opera tickets: Prices begin as low as €3-€4 if you’ll stand, even in the most prestigious locations like the state opera house. The best seats can cost anything from €50 to €200+.
- Adult entrance ticket to the zoo: €20