The city is on Central European Time (CET), the timezone covering most of western and central Europe. Vienna also observes daylight savings time, so between late March and late October, the clocks go forward one hour (technically known as CEST).
- At the moment, the time is:
- See also: Common visitor questions
More on time in Vienna…
The city is usually…
- one hour ahead of the UK and Ireland
- six hours ahead of the east coast USA
- nine hours ahead of the west coast USA
- eight to ten hours behind Sydney, Australia
In December, the sun sets at about 4pm. In June, it sets at around 9pm. The cold, dark winters are brightened up by liberal quantities of Weihnachtspunsch and the warm summer evenings rounded off with a glass of Austrian beer.
Time slows down considerably after lunch in city and federal offices and comes to a near standstill in most coffee houses.
Learn more about timezones and Vienna here.