If you’re worried about waking bleary-eyed for an early flight (or arriving on a late one in need of sleep), discover your main options for Vienna airport hotels…
- NH and MOXY hotels in the airport itself
- Rapid transport connections make city hotels a decent choice too
- See also:
Hotels on the airport grounds
(Photo courtesy of and © Flughafen Wien AG; source: Vienna Airport)
Unsurprisingly, Vienna airport is not located next door to the cathedral but about 20 kms outside the city.
The actual airport complex itself has two hotels on site.
- The NH Vienna Airport Conference Center* is a 4-star hotel and part of the international NH hotel group, which owns other properties in Vienna.
The hotel sits opposite the main terminal, just a short walk from arrivals and departures (it’s literally two minutes with a baggage trolley), and very close to the airport’s train and bus services.
The NH Vienna Airport also doubles as a conference centre (as the name suggests), so is choc full of business facilities.
As you exit arrivals, for example, look for the hotel logo on top of a building opposite: you simply walk around to the left along the walkway and over the road.
- The MOXY Vienna Airport* is just 200m or so further on past the NH property, so equally accessible from arrivals and departures.
This Marriott property has, for example, a 24 hour bar and a 24 hour fitness centre (editor’s note: be careful how you combine the two).
Other nearby hotels
Nature surrounds Vienna airport, so you don’t find hotels lining its outskirts with shuttle buses taking you to and fro.
The towns and countryside between the airport and Vienna do offer some options, though I’m not sure how much time they actually save you given the speed of transit links between the city and the terminals (see below).
These hotels, etc. might be of more interest if you want to visit Vienna but avoid big city prices. Booking.com has a list*, for example.
The town of Schwechat borders Vienna and is around 10 minutes or so from the airport by car. It’s also an intermediate stop on the S7 city train that travels out to the airport from Vienna and back.
(Locals often refer to the airport as Flughafen Wien-Schwechat or even just “Schwechat”.)
Anywhere in Vienna
(The U-Bahn subway network gets you around Vienna quickly and the S-Bahn city train network connects you to the surrounds)
I’m not being facetious. You can reach the airport quite quickly even from central hotels in Vienna (and vice versa).
- The dedicated CAT express airport train only takes about 16 minutes between the airport and the central Wien Mitte subway and train station
- The slower (but cheaper) S7 city train goes out to the airport and back with various stops en route
- Airport buses run to and from the main railway stations and other central locations
- Outside of peak traffic times, the airport can be under 30 minutes away from the centre of Vienna if you use one of those airport buses, a taxi, or an airport transfer service like the Welcome people*
Note that the airport lies to the southeast of the city, so hotels in the south and east of Vienna should (obviously) involve a shorter transfer time by car.