Unsurprisingly, the airport is not located next door to the Hofburg Palace: it’s about 20 km outside the city. If you’re worried about waking bleary-eyed for an early trip to catch the plane, here are your three main options for Vienna airport accommodation…
- See also: Accommodation in Vienna
1. Walking distance of the terminals
So which hotels are closest to Vienna airport? As far as I know, the actual airport complex only has two locations:
- The NH Vienna Airport Conference Center*: a 4-star hotel and part of the international NH hotel group, which has other properties in the city
The hotel sits slap bang in the middle of the airport grounds, literally opposite the terminals and train station.
The NH Vienna Airport also doubles as a conference centre (as the name suggests), so is choc full of business facilities.
- The MOXY Vienna Airport*: part of the Marriott group of hotels
The MOXY boasts, for example, a 24 hour bar and a 24 hour fitness centre (editor’s note: be careful how you combine the two). It’s only about five minutes more walk than the NH Vienna Airport, so also easily reached from the terminals.
2. Other nearby hotels
There are some places to stay between the airport and Vienna, though I’m not sure how much time they actually save you given the speed of transit links between the city and the terminals (see Section 3 below).
These hotels, etc. are perhaps more of interest if you want to visit Vienna but avoid big city prices. Booking.com has a list*.
The town of Schwechat, for example, borders Vienna and is around 10 minutes or less from the airport by car (and one stop away on the S7 city train that travels to and from the city centre). Locals actually refer to the airport as Flughafen Wien-Schwechat.
3. Anywhere in Vienna
I’m not being facetious. You can reach the airport quite quickly from many hotels in the city itself. For tips and more detailed information on how to do so, see this article.
- The CAT express airport train from Vienna only takes about 16 minutes (albeit you have to reach the Wien Mitte station, first)
- Dedicated airport buses run from the main railway stations and other central locations
- Outside of peak traffic times, the airport may be under 30 minutes away from the centre of Vienna if you use one of those airport buses, a taxi, or an airport transfer service like the Welcome people*
Note that the airport is to the southeast of the city, so Vienna hotels in the south and east should (obviously) involve a shorter transfer time.