If you’re worried about waking bleary-eyed for an early flight (or arriving on a late one in need of sleep), discover your main options for Vienna airport hotels…
- NH and MOXY hotels in the airport itself
- Rapid travel connections make city hotels a top choice, too
- See also:
Hotels on the airport grounds
(Photo courtesy of and © Flughafen Wien AG; source: Vienna Airport)
Unsurprisingly, Vienna airport is not located next door to the cathedral but about 20 kms outside the city.
The actual airport complex has just two hotels on site…
- The NH Vienna Airport Conference Center* is a 4-star hotel and part of the international NH hotel group, which owns other properties in Vienna.
The hotel sits opposite the main terminal, just a short walk from arrivals and departures (it took me two minutes to reach with a baggage trolley). And it’s very close to the airport’s train and bus services.
As you leave the arrivals hall (go straight ahead after exiting baggage/customs), look for the hotel logo on top of a building opposite: you simply walk around to the left along the walkway and over the road.
The NH Vienna Airport also doubles as a conference centre (as the name suggests), so is choc full of business facilities.
- The MOXY Vienna Airport* is just 200m or so further on past the NH property, so equally accessible from arrivals and departures.
This Marriott property has, for example, a 24-hour bar and a 24-hour fitness centre (editor’s note: be careful how you combine the two).
Both locations had accumulated ratings of “very good” last time I checked.
Other nearby hotels
Nature surrounds Vienna airport, so no hotels line its outskirts (as you get with such places as London Heathrow).
The towns and countryside between the airport and Vienna do offer some options. Though I’m not sure how much time they actually save you given the speed of transit links between the city and the terminals (see below).
These hotels, etc. might be of more interest if you want to visit Vienna but avoid big city prices. Booking.com has a list*.
The town of Schwechat, for example, borders Vienna and is around 10 minutes or so from the airport by car. It’s also an intermediate stop on the S7 city train that travels out to the airport from Vienna and back (see below).
Locals actually often refer to the airport as Flughafen Wien-Schwechat or even just “Schwechat”.
Stay anywhere in Vienna
(The U-Bahn subway network gets you around Vienna quickly and the S-Bahn city train network connects you to the surrounds)
I’m not being facetious with the suggestion. You can reach the airport quite quickly even from central hotels in Vienna (and vice versa).
Outside of peak traffic times, the airport can be under 30 minutes from the centre of the city if you use an airport bus, a taxi, or a transfer service like the Welcome people*. And trains get you there even quicker.
- The non-stop CAT (express city airport train) only takes about 16 minutes between the airport and the central Wien Mitte subway and train station
- The slower (but cheaper) S7 city train goes out to the airport and back with various stops en route
- Dedicated airport buses run to and from the main railway stations and other central locations
Note that the airport lies to the southeast of the city, so hotels in the south and east of Vienna should (obviously) involve a shorter transfer time by car.