Want to hear a piece by Mozart in the very building he composed it in? Step this way, ladies and gentlemen: the Bösendorfer-Saal in the Mozarthaus makes it possible.
- Small concert venue primarily with a repertoire of chamber music
- Events may include talks by experts and performers
- Same location as Mozart’s former apartment
- See also:
- Find a Mozart/Strauss concert* for your chosen date
- Concert venues in Vienna
- Mozart locations
(Not the Saal, but the premises of its famous cooperation partner: the piano manufacturer Bösendorfer)
The Mozarthaus is, as the name suggests, the house where Mozart lived for three years during his long stay in Vienna.
There is something particularly charming about the idea of listening to Mozart’s music in a building that once echoed to the sound of his piano or violin, and where he entertained such musical greats as Haydn.
And even more charming to imagine listening to the exact same pieces today that Mozart composed in that very location so long ago.
The Bösendorfer-Saal, a small venue tucked away inside the Mozarthaus, makes just such a unique experience possible.
Summer recitals and more
An annual favourite with visitors, for example, is the weekly Summer Concert series of afternoon (4pm) piano recitals. In 2022, concert pianist SoRyang performed the following Mozart works (all written just a few feet above the venue):
- Overture from the Marriage of Figaro (version for piano); KV 492
- Piano sonata Nr.11; KV 331
- Rondo in D major; KV 485
- Rondo in F major; KV 494
These summer recitals are, of course, not the only concerts to grace the Bösendorfer-Saal.
Others include a varied programme of pieces and performers, as well as works by composers other than Mozart.
A random check in the past, for example, revealed a schedule with:
- Mozart Academy concerts on the theme of sonatas for violin and piano (one date featured historical instruments)
- A concert and evening complementing the theme of a concurrent special exhibition in the Mozarthaus: Haydn – Mozart – Beethoven
- The Bösendorfer Saturday afternoon cycle of “Mozart & More” concerts
Check the Mozarthaus listings for up-to-date details on current events.
Tickets and visitor tips
Ticketing arrangements depend on the concert in question, so, again, check the Mozarthaus listings for information.
Don’t forget the Mozarthaus, along with the Mozart apartment, are both worth a visit in their own right. They take you on a musical and biographical journey through Mozart’s time in Vienna.
How to get to the Bösendorfer-Saal
The venue lies a few rolls of a chocolate marzipan Mozart ball from the very centre of Vienna. See the main museum article for travel tips.
Address: Domgasse 4, 1010 Vienna