A long list of sights to admire is all very well, but what about all the other aspects of seeing a new city?
Do the Viennese speak English? How much do you tip? Are credit cards widely accepted? What’s the currency? What’s the best time to visit? Is the water safe? What about plugs and sockets?
The answer to these and similar questions are below…
- Why should I visit Vienna?
- Should I buy a Vienna Pass?
- Should I buy a Vienna card?
- Do they speak English?
- How safe is Vienna?
- Can you drink the water?
- How can I save time or money sightseeing?
- Where can I get free Wi-Fi?
- Do I need an adaptor for my electronic devices?
- When is the best time to visit Vienna?
- What events are on?
- Where in Austria is Vienna?
Sightseeing advice & highlights
- What city sightseeing passes are available?
- What are the most popular tourist attractions?
- What do you personally recommend?
- What can I do in a day?
- What can I do for free?
- What are some authentic Viennese experiences?
- Can I take a virtual tour of Vienna?
- What are the best Christmas markets to visit?
- What activities do you recommend for a Christmas trip?
- What should I do on New Year’s Eve?
- What can you do with kids?
- Where can you get the best views of Vienna?
- What should I do at Schönbrunn?
- What should I do at Belvedere?
- Do museums etc. stay open over Christmas?
- Where can I learn about Empress Elisabeth?
- Where can I see Dürer’s Hase (hare)?
- Where can I see Klimt’s “The Kiss”?
- Where is the golden Strauss statue?
- Where can I learn about the history of the Jewish community?
- Where is the Danube?
- Is the Danube blue?
- How can I see the Alps?
- Where can I find Pokemons?
- What day trips do you recommend?
Stage and screen
- How can I buy cheap opera tickets?
- When is the opera season?
- What is the dress code for opera?
- How can I see a classical concert?
- Where can I watch movies in English?
- How does the public transport system work?
- Is Vienna wheelchair-friendly?
- Are there any “hop on, hop off” tour buses?
- What is the code for Vienna airport? (Answer: VIE)
- How do I get to the airport?
- How do I get to the city from the airport?
- How fast can I drive in Vienna?
- Where can I park?
- Are there any motorway tolls?
- What is an Einbahn?
- What is a Rettungsgasse?
- How far is it to Prague?
- How far is it to Budapest?
Staying in Vienna
- Will I pay a hotel or local tax?
- Which hotels are close to the airport?
- Which hotels are near the Christmas markets?
- Which hotels are close to Schönbrunn palace?
- Which hotels are near the opera?
- Can I visit Freud’s house?
- Where can I find all the Mozart locations?
- Where can I find all the Haydn locations?
- Where can I find all the Beethoven locations?
- Where can I find all the Strauss locations?
- Where can I find all the Mahler locations?
- Where can I see all the Schubert locations?
- Where is Mozart’s grave?
- Where is Beethoven’s grave?
- Where can I learn about Egon Schiele?
- Where can I learn about Gustav Klimt?
- Where can I learn about Hundertwasser?
- Where can I see Otto Wagner’s work?
- Where can I learn about Empress Elisabeth (Sisi)?
Shopping and eating out
- Can you recommend any coffee houses?
- When are shops open?
- Where are the best places to shop?
- When do pubs/bars close?
- Where can I watch the football?
- Is Vienna expensive?
- Do they take credit cards?
- Where can I buy stamps?
- How do you tip in Vienna?
- How do you order and pay for food and drink?
- Where can I find allergy information in restaurants?
- What are typical Viennese foods?
- What is a Wiener Schnitzel?
- What are the supermarket chains like?
- Where can I buy Japanese food?
- What souvenirs do you recommend?
- Can you smoke in bars and restaurants?
- How do you say “cheers”?
- Where is the British embassy?
- Where is the US embassy?
- Where is the Australian embassy?
- Where is the Canadian embassy?
- Where is the New Zealand embassy?