Vienna’s most popular tourist attraction is Schönbrunn, with its palace, museums, the zoo and huge park (and a Christmas market). The complex is a little outside the city centre, so you might like a hotel nearby to save travelling time.
- See also: Vienna accommodation (with general tips)
The hotels listed below the map are all within a few minutes walk of Schönbrunn Palace itself or a park entrance and, at the time of writing, all rated at least 8 (out of 10) according to booking.com user reviews.
- Note 1: These and other hotels are handy for Schönbrunn, but you can easily reach other attractions from the Schönbrunn area thanks to Vienna’s excellent transport system
- Note 2: For the same reason, getting to Schönbrunn is not really a big deal if you have accommodation elsewhere: for example, the park adjoins two stops on the U4 subway line (the Hietzing and Schönbrunn stops).
The booking.com map* below has more suggestions if you want to widen your search beyond the accommodation I’ve picked out as particularly close by.
In no particular order…
(The main entrance to Schönbrunn Palace)
This was completely renovated in early 2015 and resides in a park of its own, which is quite a rarity for a city hotel. Nice if you want to get away from the urban environment now and then.
2. Austria Trend Parkhotel Schönbrunn Wien* (4 stars)
A well-known landmark as it sits very close to the park entrance that takes you to the zoo and to the Lindt chocolate shop (a deal clincher if ever there was one). The hotel’s also a few short steps away from the Hietzing subway station.
The location has a colourful history dating back to the late 18th century. For example, Emperor Franz Joseph used to house his guests there.
3. Radisson Blu Park Royal Palace Hotel Vienna* (4 stars)
There’s a tram stop outside and it’s not far from the main Schönbrunn entrance. As a bonus, next door is the Technical Museum, which bursts with interactive exhibits and more buttons to press than a lift in the Empire State Building.
(The Technical Museum is also close to Schönbrunn)
On the other side of the junction from the Park Royal Palace, so close to a tram stop and actually not too far from a subway station on the U3 line. Also has a rooftop bar for breakfast with views of the palace grounds in the distance.
On the other side of the park from its colleague and just across from the Schönbrunn station.
6. Hotel Viktoria*
Smaller, family-run hotel. Like the Parkhotel, very close to Hietzing subway station and the west side of the palace park.