Current highlights for visitors plus annual events and festivals of particular interest (listed by month); perhaps you can find something to add that little extra to your Vienna trip…
- Book a concert experience* for your visit
- See also:
Events on now(ish)
(The Eistraum ice skating lights up the Rathausplatz until March 3rd)
Highlights until Mar 3rd
The turn of the month sees Vienna continue to ramp up the festivals and annual events. For example:
- The Wiener Eistraum open-air ice skating festival has its final week of split-level rinks and ice trails through the central Rathaus park. Music, food, lights (and skates to hire) abound
- The 25th international Accordion Festival also continues (until March 17th)
- This weekend has the Ottakringer Vinyl & Music festival: an authentic mix of market, fair, exhibition, and gig, with the added bonus this year of a section devoted to master instrument makers. See you there
- Saturday also brings the start of the WIKAM (Vienna International Art and Antiques Fair) spring edition in Palais Ferstel that continues until March 10th
Weekend tips (Mar 2/3)
Annual events and festivals
These should take place each year but do check the linked individual and monthly articles, since events may shift around the calendar or skip a year (and I fill the monthly articles with many more activities and suggestions).
(The Musikverein concert venue hosts the New Year’s Concert)
For dates, details and many more activities and ideas, see the full guide to January 2025. Some possibilities:
- The 1st of January is, of course, the date of the world-famous New Year’s Concert
- At the beginning of the month, you should catch the final days of both the New Year markets and the year-end highlight exhibitions at the art museums
- It’s time to slap on your skates for the Vienna Ice World on split-level open-air rinks in front of the neogothic Rathaus. The event usually runs from the middle of the month to early March
(Open-air ice skating)
For more tips on seasonal activities, try the February 2025 guide. Sandwiched innocently between the holiday season and spring, February has few major annual events of note, but you might consider, for example:
- January’s Ice World, which continues through the month. And there’s the famous Opernball, of course
- February 14th, of course. Try a few suggestions for Valentine’s Day
- The end of the month brings the International Orchid Show and the Art at the Park fair in the Park Hyatt hotel
(Decorative Easter egg for sale)
See the full March 2024 guide for all details and more thoughts on what you might do in the month. Some highlights:
- The Easter markets might start up in March, depending on when Easter actually falls. See, for example, the one at Schönbrunn Palace
- The Vinyl & Music festival drops into the city’s main brewery and the Blues Spring Festival typically starts up at the end of March
- The Edelstoff design market will please art and crafts fans
(The Easter market on the Freyung)
For more tips, exhibition suggestions and outdoor activities, try the full April 2024 guide.
- The Easter markets may continue (or start) in April depending on Easter dates, and the Vienna Blues Spring music festival still fills its venues during the month
- April also has two of the early food & drink festivals: the Styrian Spring festival and the spring edition of the Craft Beer Festival. For nourishment of the more visual kind, try the Vienna COMIX expo, Fantasy Con, the Jewish Film Festival, the Art Austria art fair or the Festival du Film Francophone (French-language movie festival)
- If you want to work off the calories after all those Styrian delights, then the Vienna marathon is usually in the same month, as is the Argus Bike Festival
(A month of culinary delights)
For dates, more information, and even more suggested things to do, see the complete May 2024 guide.
This is the month when music and food lovers come into their own.
- On the music front, you have the Fest der Freude, a free concert on Heldenplatz to celebrate the anniversary of the liberation of the city in WWII
- Music also appears at many of the food and drink festivals (and similar):
- The open day at the city-owned Cobenzl winery
- The Genuss Festival that stretches across the Stadtpark
- The Burgenland Kultinarium on Am Hof square
- The Steffl Kirtag around Stephansdom cathedral
- The Wiener Zitrustage in the Schönbrunn palace orangery
- And the European Street Food festival outside the Stadthalle
The events of May give you a big hint as to what Vienna is really all about: food, drink & music.
(The Alserkirche church)
Find out about more June events, including dates, using the broader June 2024 guide.
- This Vienna Pride time, which typically runs across 2+ weeks of June
- Notable international music festivals pop up in June – the Vienna Jazz Festival, the AMADEUS Festival Vienna and the Donauinselfest. The latter is Europe’s largest free open-air festival
- A world-class orchestra performs for free: the famous Summer Night classical concert in the gardens of Schönbrunn Palace with the Wiener Philharmoniker
- The spring/summer edition of Fesch’Markt Vienna lets you sample the creative output of independent designers and artists (sadly no more)
- The Foto Wien photography festival makes this a happy month for photographers and those who appreciate their work
- The Long Night of the Churches invites you into Christian institutions for all sorts of activities, tours, entertainments, and more
- The Vienna Shorts film festival focuses on short-form movies
- The spring edition of Veganmania also makes an appearance
- The Südwind Straßenfest festival arrives with NGOs and more
- And the Vienna Beer Festival focuses on, well, I’ll let you guess
(Open-air film and food fun)
For other activity tips and more detailed suggestions, try the comprehensive July 2024 guide.
- The big July event is the Rathaus Film Festival, with daily public viewings of concerts and performances from various genres of music on the square in front of the Rathaus
- Talking music, June’s Jazz Festival usually continues through the early part of the month, too. And there’s more music in July:
- More on the food and drink front with…
- The Ottakringer Beer Festival, if you like a beer or three
- And if mead’s more your thing, there’s always the Montur & Pulverdampf medieval festival
- July typically also sees the start of the Frameout open-air cinema season at the MuseumsQuartier and the start of the dotdotdot film festival at the folk museum
(Old timers on parade)
Discover a whole slew of ideas for what to do this month in the full August 2024 guide.
- Many of July’s film and other festivals carry on through August. Notable additions to the calendar include:
- Jump from classic to contemporary: numerous classic cars drive around the Ring at the Vienna Old Timer Parade, while the month also hosts the Calle Libre street art festival.
- For (live) modern music, try the Gürtel Nightwalk or the Afrika Tage African festival (where food, music, and art comes together for over 2 weeks)
(Brewery and event venue in one)
For more suggestions, details, and dates, browse the main September 2024 guide.
- The food, drink, film, and music theme common to Vienna dominates the month with, for example:
- The Liquid Market cocktail festival, if you like a cocktail or three
- The last Sunday in September is European Heritage Day, when various historical buildings open their doors to the public (for free). The same concept applies at Open House Wien, but with a focus on newer constructions
- And the modern flavour continues at the…
(The MAK: museum and venue)
Take a peek at the October 2024 guide for more details and further tips and suggestions.
- You can sample the best of Vienna’s museal treasures at the Long Night of Museums
- Lovers of good photography and design should find their way to…
- If you prefer your design in interactive pixel form, then visit Game City on the Rathausplatz.
- For a bit of autumnal flair, try the Herbsttage (a small fair and botanical exhibition)
- As in many months, film features strongly in October, too, with the start of the prestigious international film festival, the Viennale
- For both ends of the modern music spectrum, consider:
- Or just get some fresh air: late October typically sees the start of the open-air ice skating season
(Vienna Comic Con attracts top guests)
Call up the November 2024 guide for more information on the below, as well as tips on other activities and art exhibitions, etc.
- Both the Viennale and Wien Modern normally carry through into November
- The month’s main claim to fame is the start of the Christmas season, notably the wonderful Advent markets, the lights, outdoor ice skating, and early signs of gift-buying panic
- Indulge your geekier side and enjoy the world of science fiction, fantasy and comics at Vienna Comic Con
- To pick up some gifts of a particularly artistic nature, try:
- The ART&ANTIQUE fair at the Hofburg
- The Fesch’Markt autumn/winter edition design market (unfortunately no longer going ahead)
- Or forget the season and immerse yourself…in a glass of beer at the autumn edition of the Craft Beer Festival, visions of faraway lands at the Photo+Adventure fair, or guilt-free shopping at Vegan Planet
(The time of the Christmas markets)
For all the details and a few more tips, check out the December 2024 guide.
You’ll be surprised to learn that seasonal themes tend to dominate in December, notably…
- The Christmas markets, which continue through until at least December 23rd with the Weihnachtsquartier design exhibition and market as a shorter bonus