One of Vienna’s hop on, hop off buses is a good option if you don’t want to get to grips with the (excellent) public transport system, or if you want a guided sightseeing tour you can leave or join as you like.
- Two main options are:
- Both take you around the main sites with multilingual audio guides
- Both include various extras (e.g. a guided walking tour)
- Routes, timetables, and offers change, so check locally
- See also: Sightseeing tips
Vienna Sightseeing Bus
Unmistakably yellow and green, the Vienna Sightseeing Bus takes two different routes inside the city (at the time of writing):
- Red: this encircles the old town, taking you to, from and past key sites like the Hofburg, natural and art history museums, MuseumsQuartier, opera house etc.
This should be your first-choice route, as it gives you a broad flavor of the best of Vienna. The different stops offer easy walking access to top sights, including those in the pedestrianised center.
- Yellow: this covers a small part of the Ring boulevard, including the opera house, but also takes you out to the main tourist attraction away from the very center: Schönbrunn palace.
A good second choice – no trip to Vienna is probably complete without seeing the Habsburg summer palace.
A ticket includes an on-board audioguide. You choose between 24, 48, and 72 hour tickets.
For current details and offers, check the official website.
The Big Bus Tour
The distinctive red buses of the Big Bus Tour follow two routes (at the time of writing):
- Red: like its namesake, this takes in the area around the old town, but also extends, for example, out to the Prater, across the Danube to the UN buildings.
This is a great option if you’re stuck for time, since you see an awful lot of Vienna in under two hours (assuming you don’t do the “hop on, hop off” thing but stay on board).
- Blue: this is the palace route, bordering the Hofburg, then out to, for example, Belvedere and Schönbrunn.
Basic 24-hour tickets cover the red and blue routes. The 48 hour option also includes a walking tour. The 72 hour option adds a further bonus – a short river cruise.
The Vienna City Card includes the option to purchase a one-off 24 hr pass for the Big Bus Tour as a digital add-on.
For all the current details and offers, check the official website.