- The ICON Vienna, Tower 24, Level 15.02, Wiedner Gürtel 13, 1100 Vienna
How to get to the New Zealand embassy
The NZ embassy and permanent mission to the UN sits just off Hauptbahnhof station among the new developments that have sprung up in this part of town.
Reach Hauptbahnhof and the area via:
- Tram (lines 18 and O)
- Bus (lines 13A and 69A)
- Subway (jump on the U1 which comes out here from the centre: from Stephansplatz, for example)
(Upper Belvedere palace at Christmas)
Enjoy the fresh architecture of the new quarter growing up around the redeveloped railway station. But for attractions of a more traditional kind, head north and east to find:
- Belvedere: two Baroque palaces, landscaped gardens, and numerous art exhibitions both temporary and permanent. Belvedere is one of Vienna’s prime sights and home to perhaps the globe’s most important collection of Klimt paintings (including the world-famous The Kiss).
- Belvedere 21: a contemporary art museum showcasing mainly local artists (established and upcoming) as well as serving as a cultural centre.
- Heeresgeschichtliches Museum: the building itself has some astounding interiors, while the exhibit areas take you through Austria’s military history. Some remarkable objects live inside, such as the coat worn by Napoleon as he travelled to exile in Elba.