Unsurprisingly, the airport is not located next door to the Hofburg Palace: it’s about 20 km outside the city. If you’re worried about waking bleary-eyed for an early trip to catch the plane, here are your main options for Vienna airport accommodation…
- See also: Accommodation in Vienna
1. Walking distance of the terminals
As far as I know, there are only two hotels in the actual airport complex:
- The NH Vienna Airport Conference Center*: a 4-star hotel and part of the international NH hotel chain, which has other properties in the city
What’s great, of course, is the hotel sits slap bang in the middle of the airport grounds, literally opposite the terminals and train/bus stations.
The NH Vienna Airport also doubles as a conference centre (as the name suggests), so is choc full of business facilities.
- The MOXY Vienna Airport*: part of the Marriott group of hotels
The MOXY boasts, for example, a 24 hour bar and a 24 hour fitness centre (editor’s note: be careful how you combine the two). It’s only about five minutes more walk than the NH Vienna Airport, so also easily reached from the terminals.
2. Other nearby hotels
There are some places to stay nearer the airport and outside Vienna, though I’m not sure how much time they actually save you given the speed of transit links between Vienna and the terminals (see Section 3 below).
These hotels, etc. are perhaps more of interest if you want to visit Vienna but avoid “big city prices”. Booking.com has a list* (sort by “distance from airport”).
The town of Schwechat, for example, borders Vienna and is around 10 minutes or less from the airport by car (and one stop away on the S7 city train that travels out from the city centre).
3. Anywhere in Vienna
I’m not being facetious. You can get to the airport quite quickly from many hotels in the city itself. For example:
- The CAT express airport train from Vienna only takes about 16 minutes (albeit you have to reach the Wien Mitte station, first)
- Outside of peak traffic times, the airport may be under 30 minutes away from the centre of Vienna if you use one of the airport buses or a dedicated airport taxi service like the Welcome people*
For tips and more detailed information on getting to the airport from the city, see this article.