Some locations of interest to visitors are near stations on the U2 subway line. These stations may be closed temporarily as part of the construction project on a new U5 subway, with tram services and other subway lines compensating.
- Closures run from May 31, 2021 to September 2024
- Don’t worry – you have plenty of alternatives
- See also:
What stations are closed?
Between May 31st, 2021 and September 2024, the U2 subway line only runs from Seestadt (in the outer 22nd district) to Schottentor in the centre. So the following stations are closed to the U2 during this period:
- Volkstheater (also on the U3 subway line
- Karlsplatz (also on the U1 and U4 subway lines)
Easy travel alternatives
Those stations are fairly central and popular. You have the other subway options mentioned above. And various trams run parallel to all or most of the closed section of the U2 for part of their route, albeit a block or two closer to the city centre. These include the lines:
- 2 (Oper/Karlsplatz <all stops> Rathaus)
- D (Oper/Karlsplatz <all stops> Schottentor then out to Nußdorf)
- 1 and 71 (Oper/Karlsplatz <all stops> Schottentor and beyond to Schottenring and the U4 subway line)
A replacement tram service (the U2Z) also appears sporadically.
The closures should not make much difference to your travel arrangements, since the relevant area is well served by those trams and other subway lines. Also, it’s all compact enough that walking remains a decent option.
You should see signs and information in English everywhere affected to ensure you find your way to the right place with a minimum of inconvenience.