You’re wrapped up warm all ready to splash out on strawberries that foolishly fell into some chocolate. Not to mention a mug of mulled wine to scare away the winter cold. Around the corner, and…is the market even open?
When do the markets start in 2022?
(The market on Maria-Theresien-Platz with the Kunsthistorisches Museum behind)
Traditionally, most markets start in mid-November and all the major markets open by the end of the month.
Planned starting dates for 2022 announced so far are:
- November 11th: Stephansplatz; Altes AKH; Spittelberg; Am Hof; Genussmarkt bei der Oper, Michaelerplatz
- November 16th: Weihnachtsdorf on Maria-Theresien-Platz
- November 18th: Belvedere; Karlsplatz, Freyung
- November 19th: Christkindlmarkt am Rathausplatz (the “big” one); Wintermarkt am Riesenradplatz; Schönbrunn Christmas market
All locations normally stay open until at least December 23rd.
Expect several markets to continue through the Christmas public holiday period. One or two may stay open until late December or early January, possibly in the form of a New Year market.
For example, a review of market websites at the time of writing showed the following planned end dates:
- Christkindlmarkt am Rathausplatz (until December 26th)
- Stephansplatz (until December 26th)
- Michaelerplatz (until December 26th)
- Wintermarkt am Riesenradplatz (until January 8th)
- Weihnachtsdorf on Maria-Theresien-Platz (until December 26th)
- Belvedere (until December 26th)
- Genussmarkt bei der Open (until December 31st)
- Schönbrunn (until December 26th and then from December 27th to January 4th as a New Year market)
Always check official sites on a case-by-case basis, though, given dates and times can change at short notice.
You may find other markets around the city and not mentioned have different dates to those given above: I haven’t checked every one, just the important locations for visitors to Vienna.
Opening hours 2022
(The Stephansplatz market in front of the cathedral)
Most markets open sometime between 10am and midday, closing around 9pm. Here the 2022 details for those I review at Visiting Vienna, again based on what the websites say at the time of writing. As with opening dates, these might change.
Provisional 2022 opening hours
Times of business according to the official websites at the time of writing…
- 2pm to 10pm (Mon – Weds)
- 2pm to 11pm (Thurs, Fri)
- 11am to 11pm (Sat)
- 11am to 8pm (or 9pm?) (Sun)
- 11am to 9pm (Mon-Thurs)
- 10am to 9pm (Fri-Sun and public holidays)
- 11am to 9pm (weekdays)
- 10am to 9pm (weekends)
- 11am to 4pm (December 24th)
- 11am to 7pm (December 25th and 26th)
- 10am to 9.30pm
- Closes at 6.30pm on December 24th, 25th and 26th
- 10am to 9pm
Genussmarkt bei der Oper
- 11am to 9pm (maybe later on New Year’s Eve)
- May close on December 24th (has done in past years)
- Midday to 8pm
- 11am to 9pm (Sun to Thurs)
- 11am to 10pm (Fri and Sat)
- Closed earlier on December 24th (4pm), 25th (7pm) and 26th (7pm)
- 10am to 8pm
- May close earlier on December 24th(?)
- 10am to 9pm
- Closes at 4pm on December 24th
- 10am to 6pm (December 25th and 26th)
- 2pm to 9pm (Mon-Thurs)
- 2pm to 9.30pm (Fri)
- 10am to 9.30pm (Sat)
- 10am to 9pm (Sun and public holidays)
- 11am to 9pm
- Closes at 4pm on Dec 24th
- Closes at 7pm on Dec 25th and 26th
- Midday to 10pm (weekdays)
- 11am to 10pm (weekends and public holidays)
- 11am to 5pm on December 24th
- Stays open until 2am the following day on Dec 31st