You’re wrapped up warm all ready to splash out on strawberries that foolishly fell into some chocolate. Not to mention a mug of mulled wine to scare away the winter cold. Around the corner, and…is the market even open?
When do the markets start in 2022?
Traditionally, most markets start in mid-November and all big ones open by the end of the month.
To give you an idea of what to expect until we get confirmed dates for the 2022 season, this list shows when selected Christmas markets in Vienna opened last time out:
- November 12th: Spittelberg, Stephansplatz, Am Hof, Genussmarkt bei der Oper, Altes AKH, and the Christkindlmarkt am Rathausplatz
- November 17th: Weihnachtsdorf on Maria-Theresien-Platz
- November 19th: Karlsplatz and Belvedere markets
- November 20th: Freyung, Wintermarkt am Riesenradplatz, and Schönbrunn Christmas markets
All locations traditionally stay open until at least December 23rd.
Expect several markets to continue through the Christmas public holiday period or into late December / early January, possibly in the form of a New Year market.
(Service provided by Booking.com*)
In 2021, for example, the following locations opened until December 26th, and some planned to stay open as along as January 9th:
- Wintermarkt am Riesenradplatz
- Weihnachtsdorf on Maria-Theresien-Platz
- Genussmarkt bei der Oper
Always check official sites on a case-by-case basis, though, given dates and times can change at short notice.
Opening hours 2022
Most markets open sometime between 10am and midday, closing around 9pm. Here the 2022 details for those I review at Visiting Vienna, again based on what the websites say at the time of writing. As with opening dates, these might change at short notice.
Provisional 2022 opening hours
Still waiting for information…!
Typical opening hours in previous years
Here the opening hours announced for previous years for those markets who have not yet published this year’s times (last time I checked).
- 2pm to 10pm (Mon – Weds)
- 2pm to 11pm (Thurs, Fri)
- 11am to 11pm (Sat)
- 11am to 9pm (Sun)
- 11am to 9pm (Mon-Thurs)
- 10am to 9pm (Fri-Sun and public holidays)
- 11am to 9pm (weekdays)
- 10am to 9pm (weekends)
- 11am to 4pm (December 24th)
- 11am to 7pm (December 25th and 26th)
- 10am to 9.30pm (10pm on Fridays and Saturdays)
- Closed at 7pm on December 24th
Genussmarkt bei der Oper
- 11am to 9pm (maybe later on New Year’s Eve)
- Closed on December 24th
- Midday to 8pm
- 11am to 9pm (Sun to Thurs)
- 11am to 9.30pm (Fri and Sat)
- Closed earlier on December 24th (4pm)
- 10am to 9pm
- Closes at 4pm on December 24th
- 10am to 6pm (December 25th and 26th)
- 2pm to 9pm (Mon-Thurs)
- 2pm to 9.30pm (Fri)
- 10am to 9.30pm (Sat)
- 10am to 9pm (Sun and public holidays)
- 11am to 9pm
- Closes at 4pm on Dec 24th
- Closes at 7pm on Dec 25th and 26th
- Midday to 10pm (weekdays)
- 11am to 10pm (weekends and public holidays)
- 10am to 5pm on December 24th
- Midday to 10pm on December 31st
- 10am to 9pm